Monday, July 07, 2008

So.... as Little and I were unloading groceries from the car (okay . . . that isn't a true statement...I had about 8 bags and was screaming for McCall to get out of the car before everything defrosted...she wasn't exactly "helping") she told me that she wanted to watch Little Mermaid and eat popcorn. When we got into the house I told her that if she ate a hot dog she could do that... and I went out to get the next load. . . .
As I am cramming as many bags as possible on my arms Little comes walking out of the house pretty somberly. She comes up to me and says "I am afraid of the light". Hmmm, okay?..... "What?", I ask ...she says again "I am afraid of the light". I just assume that she was trying to go to the bathroom and had a hard time finding the switch (this is a weekly occurrence and is usually onset by a looming bedtime and stalling tactics), so I say "You are afraid of the dark?" She says "I am afraid of the blue light".
I figure she is jibber jabbering as two year olds do and continue in with my bags before I lose all circulation. Immediately as I step into the house I smell the smoke. I do a mental checklist of what it could be... (I don't iron..so that's not it, I don't curl my hair, so that's not it...what could it be?!) and as I get closer to the kitchen I realize that she has started the microwave... the same microwave that was housing the metal pan of delicious peanut butter brownies I was hiding from her. ARGH!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOooooOOOOOoooOOOOooooooooooo!!!!
So looking over the crime scene this is what I surmise: In the 1-3 minutes I was back and forth from the car she took a bag of popcorn, intent on helping herself since mommy was occupied and had set restrictions on her popcorn consumption.... climbed up on top of the counter, covered the length of the countertops, scooted across the stove and hit a few buttons on the microwave in her attempt to get it open (plus she really likes to hit buttons) ((I am assuming she couldn't get the door open as there was no bag of popcorn inside it)). I am also assuming the "blue light" to which she was referring was probably the fireball that happened right after the tin foil and metal pan interacted with the microwaves..... There is a 3 inch scorch mark across the back of the microwave and burn marks all over the pan and burn holes thru the foil.
The brownies are goners.
*sob*
Smoke damage.
Little....I am so glad you were not hurt in a microwave explosion...but did you have to kill the brownies?!!! I wonder what the insurance company would say if I filed a claim for them?... Don't worry....I did make her eat a hotdog and we had a little "discussion" about not climbing on the counters and playing with the microwave. I have to give her props though for being so independent. The girl wanted some popcorn.
The poor brownies...they never saw it coming.


***** R.I.P *****

Peanut Butter Brownies with hidden chocolate chip cookie deliciousness.
6/6/08-6/7/08
You will be missed (but not by my thighs and mom belly).

No comments: